Next up is Shed House Records! The new kid on the block, but they came out like dynamite! Some sick looking vinyl and an amazing test press package on top of that! They maybe new, but they should be running with the big dogs sooner than later!
1. When did you start your label and why did you do it?
I guess technically i started it in May of this year, but I have been talking about doing this for going on 5 years now. I have always had a passion for music and a great love for vinyl so i think that starting a label was inevitable for me. It just took me a little while to get off my ass and make it happen. I see this as a way to give back to the bands and the community that have been a big part of my life.
2. What format(s) do you release music on?
I release vinyl and that’s all. I have no interest in CD’s or tapes.
3. What has been your most successful release to date, or which release are you most proud of?
I just put out the labels first release “Natural Child : Live in Birmingham” and I am definitely proud of how the release has been selling and more importantly how its being enjoyed by the folks who have bought it. The positive reviews and comments have made all the hard work worth it.
4. Do you have specific tastes in the music you choose to release (i.e. genres, regions, etc) or are you open to anything? If so, what is your preference(s)?
I am open to listening to a wide variety of musical styles and don’t want the label to be restricted by genres.
5. How do you go about finding new artists you are interested in releasing? Demos, Facebook, Soundcloud, friends?
I pretty much just go to the shows of bands that I like and ask them if they are interested in doing something. So far it seems to be working. I have a few good recordings I am working on and am always trying to line more up.
6. Anything in the works right now that you would like to share?
Currently i am working on a live Dan Sartain release. I am really stoked about this one. When I first started talking about doing a label I told everyone that I was gonna put out a live Dan Sartain album and now almost 5 years later I am. I hope to have it out early next year.
7. Where do you see your record label going in the next five years? Ten years?
The label is something I do for fun and not for big profits. So will I still be putting stuff out in 5-10 years? That is completely up to the people. As long as the label can sustain itself I will continue to put out releases. I put a lot of money into this first release, with a wife and 2 kids it was a big risk for us. I definitely cant afford to continuously put money into it but I plan on riding it out as long as I can. If I never put out another release I would be ok with that becauseIi at least gave it a shot.
8. Where is the best place to find out more about your record label (Facebook, Twitter, website, etc)?
Facebook is the easiest way to connect with people so I guess that’s what i am doing right now. There is always the website which I plan on keeping updated with important information on new releases and such.
9. What are some of your other favorite small record labels?
Some of my favorite small labels are
there are definitely more that seem to escape me now
10. Anything else you would like to add?
Head over to shedhouserecords.com and buy a copy of Natural Childs live lp & 7″ so I can continue putting out great releases for yall to spin